What is wireless broadband?
Wireless broadband is a broadband connection to the internet that’s accessed without cables.
Wireless broadband is made possible by a wireless router, so any ADSL (phone line) or cable broadband service can be turned into a wireless connection simply by changing the router; you don’t need to sign up for a new broadband package to get it.
How do wireless routers work?
Using the same principle as a cordless phone, a wireless router converts incoming signals and broadcasts them around an area. This signal is then picked up by wireless-enabled devices, such as laptops and tablets, giving them wireless broadband connectivity throughout the house.
Who should use wireless broadband?
Anyone who doesn’t like to be tied down with cables and wires should switch over to wireless broadband. In particular, wireless broadband is ideal for:
- Families or flatshares where multiple people want to access broadband at once from different rooms of the house.
- Gamers using wireless gaming consoles.
- Laptop users with no need to be tied down by the location of their telephone point.
- Handheld devices, like smartphones or tablets, which have no cable input.
- Large houses or buildings, as well as places with gardens, where the distance between user and router might be too far for cable.
How to go wireless
Most broadband providers will give you a wireless router when you sign up for a new contract. The ‘plug and play’ wireless equipment they provide involves little more than simply swapping the hardware. You may also need to run your ISP setup again, though, so double check with your provider before making any major changes.
Another type of wireless broadband is mobile broadband, or 3G/4G broadband. It’s a form of wireless broadband aimed at consumers who need a connection while they’re on the move, allowing them to access the internet from wherever they are, even abroad.
Mobile broadband dongles:
- Don’t require a source of electricity
- Are small and discreet
- Are perfect for transporting
Over the years, broadband has become more of a need than luxury. We can’t really imagine our lives function as smoothly as it does with the blessing of broadband. Even within this broad category of broadband, there are different types and you can even find best broadband deals. Whatever fits you is what you choose and use.